- AMi Direct
AMiable Solution #317: How to Push Their Emotional Buttons
It doesn’t matter if you’re marketing to a business or directly to a consumer, the recipients are the same: human, affected by emotional triggers.
Why is that so important? Emotional triggers appeal to a person’s heart, which opens the door to the person’s mind. Emotional triggers drive action.
While we tend to think of the negative triggers first—fear, greed, vanity, lust, pride, envy, laziness, and guilt—promotions with positive emotional triggers can create responses and results, too.
When was the last time you appealed to one of the positive emotions below?
· Love. Our love for others or even our love for hobbies and activities can trigger a desire to purchase a product, subscribe to a service, or support a cause.
· Time. We could all use more of it, right? Show your prospects how your product or service will save them time on tasks they don’t like to do so that they’ll have more free time for the things they love.
· Trust. If you want prospects to respond to your offers, you have to prove you’re worthy. Buyers can usually recognize baloney when they read it. Mean what you say and say what you mean.
· Value. Show customers they’re getting maximum benefit at a fair and reasonable price.
· Belonging. Sometimes purchases are more about relationships than results.
How do you know which emotion to appeal to? You have to know what drives and motivates your audience. You also have to know your limits. Tapping into some emotions—fear and guilt, in particular—requires certain restraint and knowledge.
The more you know about your target, the better your chances of speaking to their hearts and calling them to action.